Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Why Do We Put Up With Radio Advertisements?

When I read Ricki Kahn's blog post about radio advertising, I learned that it is a lot cheaper to advertise on the radio then it is to advertise on television. I also learned that radio advertisements can reach a large range of listeners, and that the radio has not been losing listeners- as many people may think. But this seemed odd to me, because I feel that with all of the new technologies in music today (ipods, mp3 players, etc.), the radio should be losing listeners. If we know that we will have to listen to commercials and advertisements on the radio, why do we continue to tune in? If we have these ipods that we can control, why aren't they taking over? I asked this question to Ricki, and here's what she had to say about it:

When Ricki talked about the range of listeners that radio advertisements are able to reach, I wasn't exactly sure of what she meant. I know that when I listen to the radio at home, most of the commercials are for local businesses. When I interviewed her, she was able to clarify this for me:

No comments:

Post a Comment