Thursday, September 8, 2011

Technology in Education

   As an elementary education major, technology plays a huge role in my field of study. As I am continually learning about different teaching methods, I am also learning that technology is becoming much more prevalent in the classroom. For example, many teachers use smart boards in their classrooms, which allow them to lead interactive lessons where the students can come up and write on the board with electronic markers. There are also many other ways technology is used in the classroom, such as the increased importance of teaching students how to utilize the internet for research and making digital presentations. More specific to elementary education, children are learning how to use computers and navigate the web at earlier ages than ever before. When I observed in a second grade classroom last semester, the students spent 30-60 minutes on the computer each day. They would play math games, read digital story books, and look at videos and pictures that were based on what they were learning in class. The use and importance of technology are definitely on the rise in the education field.

   This semester, I would like to become more familiar with the use of technology. Even though I do own a laptop and browse the web frequently, I still feel that there is lot more that I need to learn. This will be my first time blogging and using twitter, so I hope I will get comfortable using both of those soon. I also hope that learning more about mass media will help me in the future with a career in education.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed your posting. It made me feel nostalgic for my childhood, which consisted of smartboards and hour long sessions learning to type in the media center. Your article was very relatable, however I have to give you the only advice I received - add a link to show the relevance of technology in your field. Also, maybe add some more color to make your page seem more upbeat. Again, great post and I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete